Sunday, March 15, 2009

Vogue

Despite the rain two of three days mom and sis were here, we somehow managed to always get inside before the cloud bursts. But Wednesday overall was a bit of a cloudy day as we walked around Puerto Maderno - the up-and-coming neighborhood in BsAs. The cost of an apartment there is wildly inflated, but probably swank, as the old brick shipping warehouses have been converted into townhouses. Overall though, not one of my favorite places. The streets are a little too wide, cranes dominate the horizon, and aside from El Puente de La Mujer (Bridge of the Woman), I didn't see much that seemed to hold true to BsAs' unique architectural aesthetic. And cool as the bridge was, it lost some of its reverence with the Hooters across the sidewalk from one end. According to my guidebook, the artistic interpretation of the bridge is a couple dancing tango, where the white mast represents the man and the curved profile the woman.
We decided to liven things up with a little vogue. Dozens and dozens of photos lined the walkway as part of an exhibit called Mil Besos (a thousand kisses). Here are some of our pictures in tribute to that exhibit.


We also found a little sunshine in our lives when we met a dog we named Fuglers, because he was sooo ugly, but so sweet. Either a birth defect or a run in with the motorcycles he loves to chase left him with a droopy snout. A few times I almost had to pull my mom and sis out of traffic when they would try to stop Fuglers from suddenly bolting after a motorcycle no matter what other cars or trucks were coming at him. But once the motorcycle pulled away, Fuglers would come trotting after us, tongue lolling and snout drooping. However, being unable to stomach the thought of Fuglers coming to an untimely demise in front of our eyes, we finally darted off the next time he ran after a motorcycle so he'd quit following us and freaking us out with his bad habit.
We headed into Cafe Tortoni, a BsAs landmark with an old world feel inside, where we enjoyed some beers and delicious steak dishes. All the voguing had left us very hungry.

2 comments:

  1. Heidi...
    I just love reading your blog. It makes me wild with jealousy. I am so excited for all your adventures and cannot wait to talk about all of them in the future over a cup of coffee. You will have to tell me all the highlights as I do wish to make it to Argentina sometime soon (I know I know...I wish dearly that the time could have been now}. Keep exploring, meeting new people, laughing, enjoying delicious steak dinners, learning the tango, and perfecting your espanol. Sending you lots of love for the Rocky Mountains. xx
    Mares

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww Fuglers!!! :-)

    I really enjoyed meeting the fam over a dinner of pea tacos... I'm definitely going to start incorporating them into my diet.

    ReplyDelete