I've taken out the last of the trash, washed all my dishes, tidied up and now await the owner of the apartment I've been renting to arrive and swap keys for security deposit.
This evening I'll be taking a 12-hour bus ride to the northeastern province of Misiones, where Jesuit missionaries established a number of remarkable communities before being expelled in the 1700s. The ruins still remain today, so I'll be checking those out before heading to the most northeastern tip of Argentina, which unlike Maine is not the national cul-de-sac, but a heavily visited destination because of the Cataratas de Iguazu, which are allegedly supposed to blow Niagra Falls out of the water.
After that, I was planning to head back south a bit to a community called Rosario, but the man who runs the laundromat next door says he doesn't like it and I should go elsewhere. His wife

then said she thought it was lovely, and so I witnessed an incredible back and forth between the two of them about where I should and shouldn't go. This guy is a hoot and will talk your ear off for hours if you let him. Most of the time I understand little of what he says, though I pick up enough of the context to nod, smile, laugh or shake my head when he gives me the cue.

He, like me, misses Mike, who visited for a week, and the two of them could charlar (chat)! Mike and I had an excellent time and some wonderful adventures, and despite all the fun we packed in, the week went too quickly.
The day he arrived, we went to this

outstanding, partially-outdoor venue called Ciudad Cultural Konex to see El Choque Urbano, this funky group that played unconventional instruments and their bodies like instruments, sort of like the Broadway show Stomp.
The following day we took a ferry to the muy tranquilo town of Colonia del Sacramento, a UNESCO world heritage site and a nice departure from the city. We rented motorscooters and scooted all around the place, and it was great fun.

We also went to La Boca, a very colorful, in more ways than one, neighborhood where tourists shouldn't find themselves off the main streets or wandering at dark. I was too afraid to take my camera there, so no pictures to share of the bustling streets and colorful houses.
Of course we ate some great steak and a shameful amount of empanadas and drank lots of Malbec from Mendoza and enjoyed non-stop sunny days.

It was nice to share my last days in Buenos Aires with such great company.
Not sure what's in store for me technologically, so I'll update as I can. Hope this finds spring gracing wherever you are...
No comments:
Post a Comment