Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Fall is in the air...

For the last couple of days, I have been staying in the very small town of Colón for the express purpose of having a little down time from all the sight-seeing. During the high season, it's the destination of many porteños seeking reprieve from Buenos Aires. But I am here during the especially slow week before Semana Santa, and I have quite enjoyed the lack of things to do.


The little courtyard outside my room.


Today I woke up to rain, and it was so refreshing. It has been a very hot and humid week, and I was feeling a bit like a wilted plant. The rain has cooled things down remarkably, and having done so, I can feel fall coming today. I now notice the occasional leaf making its decent to an accumulating pile at the base of each tree.

Colón is situated on the Río Uruguay, and across the river is the country from which the river takes its name. The town is above the very controversial pulp factory on this river, which has created a bit of a standoff between the two countries, and Argentina has in many instances discontinued its transportation services in Uruguay. Used to be that you could take a boat to Uruguay at various crossings along the border. Now the only reliable option is the ferry from Buenos Aires.


Speaking of Uruguay, when Mike and I visited, he got to enjoy the ubiquitous egg on burger. They also serve egg on various other things, and call it "a cabello," which literally translates to something like "on horseback." This little trailer was in San Ignacio.

The river is beautiful, and there are lush forest islands and white sand beaches. The water is cool, and yesterday it was necessary to swim in it often because the sun was so intense.

Tomorrow I am going to Córdoba province for a couple of weeks. My friend Mario, who I met in Bariloche, is from there and going home for Semana Santa, and he has graciously offered to have his family host me for a visit. Ian may make it up as well for a long weekend, and it would be such a nice Easter/birthday gift to have a reunion.

For now, a little siesta calls. Much love to all.

p.s. I've also included below a few pictures from my time in San Ignacio in addition to those I already posted of the ruins. I took these on a long walk down a dirt road to the house/museum of the later Argentine writer Horacio Quiroga, San Ignacio's second claim to fame.

1 comment:

  1. looks beautiful! I head out of BA in a few days and am excited to have fewer things to do in a way... relaxing from relaxing. what is the world coming to?

    ReplyDelete