Day one was a walking tour of Recoleta, historically the neighborhood of the rich. It's a bit more socioeconomically diverse today, though it retains a hyper-elegant style. No place embodies
The most famous resident is Eva "Evita" Peron. Her grave is far from the most elaborate, although it is the most heavily visited, and fresh flowers surround the site every day.
The largest tomb in the cemetery has three levels and enough room for over 300 coffins. I found this out while eavesdropping on a guided
The tour guide lamented that Argentines have always been a little
Sarah naturally found the place a photographer's paradise, and I'm eager to see her pictures, though if her turn around time is anything like the pictures from Colombia last May, which I still haven't seen, I won't hold my breath. ;)
Before the cemetery, we also visited the Floralis Genérica, a 20-story, 13-ton flower monument, the petals of which open and close at the
More posts and pictures to come of the other segments of the visit by mom and sis.
Hello Heidi,
ReplyDeleteI'm Barbara Berryman, Marissa's aunt. She told me you are in Argentina. I just got back from a 3 week vacation there. It's really fun to read your blog and I was especially pleased to see that you also found Floralis and love it. I loved it too. I took about 100 photos of it and googled the architect. I found out he also co-designed the Julliard School of Music in NYC and many buildings at MIT. small world!! I loved BsAs and look forward to reading about more of your adventures.