Thursday, February 5, 2009

Safe and sound

Hola mis familia y amigos!

I've arrived safe and sound in Bariloche, and so far everything is going quite well. Bariloche is beautiful! I took pictures, and meant to include them with this blog post, but I forgot the cable to upload them at the house.

My host mother is lovely, and her apartment overlooks the lake. She made a delicious pasta for dinner last night, though we didn't eat until nearly 10 p.m. And breakfast this morning was nothing more than toast and tea. And the only coffee I've had so far is instant coffee, so this may be the opportunity to overcome my addiction to coffee...though I hope not. Coffee doesn't seem like such a bad vice to have.

The only trouble I've had so far was getting charged for my ride from the airport to the apartment. I had arranged and paid for the ride when I registered for the school, so I shouldn't have been charged, but the driver insisted I pay. The director of the school spoke with the taxi company on the phone this morning, and I will have to go to the company's administrative offices and ask for my money back. Apparently they should give it to me without any problems -- all the same, I think this will be an interesting if not challenging exercise in practicing Spanish...

I may also set out to buy a watch today, because my phone doesn't work here, and I never realized until now how much I relied on it to tell the time. I also need to find an electrical outlet adapter, as I don't have much battery left on my computer, so I should probably wrap this up in case I can't find an adapter today.

Hope all is well!

Heidi

1 comment:

  1. mmmm....coffee. weird that all you've had is instant...since they grow it there...

    you tell that cab company!

    ReplyDelete