When I first considered traveling to Argentina, I heard rave reviews about Bariloche, and as I read more about it, I often encountered comparisons between Bariloche and Aspen, CO. And I actually learned in class yesterday that in addition to being similar in some geographical and municipal respects, they're sister cities, and dentists, doctors, ski instructors, etc can participate in a work exchange of sorts. Kind of funny to think that they're may be some Roaring Fork Valley types wandering the streets of Bariloche right now too...
Speaking of streets, here are some pictures of my favorite street in Bariloche, which I walk along everyday on my way to class. My favorite bar is also on this street. It's like a better version of Downtown Lounge in Portland, ME, though they appear to have the same playlist everytime I go in there, featuring a whole lot of Pearl Jam and some other band whose name I forget that I listened to when I was all angstly in the 90s. Last night, however, for a few hours, they played some great salsa music for the salsa lessons that the school set up for us. I had such a great time and of course aspire to be a fantastic salsa dancer into addition to a fluent Spanish speaker by the time my travels in Argentina are done.
It's the kind of place to have big dreams.
those murals are insane! those would make aspen WAY cooler.
ReplyDelete