Friday, January 30, 2009

T - 5 days...

Welcome to my blog! Despite it's title, I am not in Argentina quite yet.

But in just five short days, my brain will no doubt be short-circuiting as I try to tune my ear to a new sound and summon to use a foreign and very limited vocabulary.

I'm currently in NYC, hanging out in a Hoboken Starbucks with Michael Landis, who's done a phenomenal job of entertaining me while also juggling the demanding responsibilities of law school, work, internship application process, etc. No small task, especially on the occasions when I've sent urgent texts asking him to navigate my lost ass through the city...

Yesterday I ventured out on my own while Mike was at work and school. I met up with Lauren, Adam and Sloan in Brooklyn, which was food for my soul! We ate brunch, strolled through Prospect Park, and explored the Park Slope neighborhood. When I return in summer, I'm hoping Mike and I can find a place in the area, where you can focus your eye on a slightly farther horizon than the near-sightedness imposed by Manhatten skyscrapers.

For all the anxiety I've anticipated about my trip to a foreign country, I'm a little surprised by the culture shock I experience in NYC. No doubt a month or so in Buenos Aires will do wonders for my ability to handle big city life. And for my tan -- I have to say, I am quite eager to leave the winter weather. How great will it be to go to the Southern Hemisphere for summer and then bring the season back with me when I return to the States?

Come Tuesday evening, I will be without phone, though I have a Skype account, and if you sign up for one too, we can chat through the intertubes for free! My Skype name is heidi.overbeck.

Stay in touch!

Much love,
Heidi

2 comments:

  1. I am thrilled that you have created a blog spot. I promise to be a loyal fan as you criss-cross the beautiful country of Argentina. Please dance the tango at least once! And add me to your skype list: mary.cedra
    I will send you the highlights from the list of places to go given to me by my Argentinian friend Augustina. Buena suerte amiga. Ya te estrano! Besitos y un abrazo tan grande! xx
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited you created a blog - so great for those of us not heading off to exciting and exotic places! Have tons of fun. Can't wait to catch up when you get back.
    Love,
    J-Bake!

    ReplyDelete